- In-situ measurements
• Oceanographic surveys
- Horizontal and vertical control
- Conductivity, temperature, and depth (CTD)
The planning and execution of a bathymétrie survey is basic to the planning and execution of all of the above surveys. This section discusses some of the considerations in planning and executing a bathymétrie survey. Section 4.4 discusses specific details for other surveys.
In the planning phase, the following decisions are made:
• Type of survey - reconnaissance or detailed.
• Areal extent of survey.
• Contour interval, survey line spacing, and survey line direction.
• Method of navigation and method of horizontal control.
• Selection and establishment of control stations.
• Method of vertical control.
• Data logging requirements.
• Data reduction requirements.
• Data processing requirements.
• Deliverable product, including selection of map scale.
Was this article helpful?